Fall 2020 Housing Updates
To protect the health and safety of our students, Residential Life has made adjustments to the housing model for next semester. Residential students will receive regular communications directly from the office. You can view a copy of these communications on their website.
For fall 2020, only one student will be assigned per bedroom, in order to reduce density. This means that we will not be able to house all students who completed a license and deposit for the academic semester.
Residential Life staff are working with University partners, including student leaders, to identify criteria for students to be offered the opportunity to complete a new housing license for the fall semester only (Residential Life will provide information about securing spring semester housing in mid-October). Our goal is to make housing available to students who must be present to participate in on-campus instruction and are unable to commute. Residential Life staff will continue to work closely with academic colleagues to identify and prioritize students enrolled in in-person classes during the fall semester. Additional criteria for housing assignments will be outlined in greater detail in communication next week from Residential Life.
Students who have applied to live on campus will receive an email the week of June 22 with additional details. Students who have licensed with Walker Avenue Apartments should expect updates and additional information by July 1. Residential Life will contact students who can no longer be offered housing and their housing deposit will be refunded.
Students who wish to cancel their housing at no penalty should submit a Request Tracker (RT) ticket before July 1.
Students with an interest in cancelling their Walker Avenue Apartments license without penalty should contact Walker Avenue Management Office before July 1.
Residential Life Expectations and Changes
- Students who meet the priority criteria will be required to complete a new housing license.
- The term of the license will be for fall semester only (through November 25, 2020).
- In order to maintain social distancing, move-in will take place over a series of several days. More information will be shared with students in mid-July when assignment information is communicated.
- Residents will be expected to abide by university expectations for social distancing, face covering, etc.
- Residents will not be permitted to have guests from outside their building/community.
- Residents will share a bathroom with at least one other student.
- Residents are responsible for cleaning and disinfecting their bedroom, bathroom, and living room/kitchen (if applicable). Residential Life and UMBC staff will clean and sanitize common areas (laundry rooms, lounges, front desks, etc.).
- Residents who test positive for COVID-19 will be required to relocate to a designated space on campus and self-isolate. Residential Life will provide support and additional details.
- Residents are highly encouraged to limit travel, and, if they do so, should quarantine in their room for 14 days upon return.
- Due to limited housing, returning residents who selected a specific room may be reassigned.