COVID-19 Related Absences

If you are experiencing a physical health emergency while on campus, please call UMBC Police at 410-455-5555. If you are off campus, please call 911 or go to the nearest hospital emergency room.
If you have been diagnosed with COVID-19, please complete a Case Report Form so we can provide resources and support.

COVID-19-Related Class Absences

In response to the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic, students have the option to select courses that are offered in-person, hybrid, or virtually. Students registered for in-person courses, or hybrid courses with an in-person component, are expected to attend class in person, consistent with the requirements of the instructor.

We recognize that in addition to physical illness due to COVID-19, there are numerous COVID-19-related situations that might also necessitate absence from class. This includes situations like, but not limited to, self-quarantine, quarantine or care of immediate family members, or child care resulting from school closures or family illness. Class absences may take the form of not attending an in-person class or a scheduled synchronous online class; or not participating in online class activities (synchronous or asynchronous). Students who are absent from class due to COVID-19-related situations are expected to communicate directly with the course instructor. Students should submit notification of the absence in writing to their instructor either prior to the absence or as soon afterwards as possible. If the COVID-19 related absence coincides with graded work (e.g., homework, in-class activities, quizzes, presentations, activities, etc.), students should work with the instructor to arrange for an academic accommodation.

It is important to remind you that class absences, COVID-19-related or not, do not alter the academic requirements of any course and students remain responsible for information and material missed during the absence. Additionally, COVID-19-related absences are not considered a “disability” and as such do not require that students seek accommodations from the Office of Student Disability Services.

Finally, an instructor may determine that missing a certain amount of participation-dependent activities precludes successful accomplishment of the learning outcomes for the course. In cases like this, the instructor may advise the student to withdraw from the course. Students should discuss all options with their instructor and if course withdrawal is necessary, students should work with their academic advisor, and for undergraduates, if appropriate, their academic advocate to minimize impacts on their degree progression. Graduate students may also contact their graduate program director.