The COVID-19 Planning Coordinating Committee (CPCC) is actively planning for the Fall 2021 semester. Planning is focused on creating a robust on-campus community for teaching, learning, student support, research, and social connection this fall. We are committed to doing this in a way that also protects the health and safety of faculty, staff, and students.
We continue to work closely with shared governance leaders and listen to feedback from community members. Our approach will be scientifically informed, and we are regularly consulting with public health experts and colleagues across the state, county, and the University System of Maryland.
UMBC plans to maximize in-person learning in the fall, as conditions permit.
- Physical distancing and health and safety precautions will continue to be essential.
- We believe that vaccination will have a significant effect on the amount of the COVID virus in the community.
- We fully expect to continue to require mask-wearing, symptom tracking, and testing.
- This work will be informed by the key planning assumptions adopted early in the pandemic.
- Our plans will be flexible so that they can adapt as the health situation evolves.
- Now that we have identified our goal, we have started working on specific implementation strategies. We will start by creating a fall schedule that significantly increases in-person instruction and offers flexibility, as health conditions require.
- College deans, UMBC’s registrar, facilities management, and the Division of Information Technology are partnering with departments and faculty to develop course-specific approaches based on course goals, class enrollment, and facilities available.
- This process will include providing online options as appropriate, and exception processes for community members with health concerns. As we work toward our academic goals, we will always take into account the needs of students, faculty, and staff.
As plans evolve we will provide additional information on this website. We ask for your patience and flexibility as we work together to answer the many questions we know that you have.