Face coverings or masks are required to be worn in buildings and outdoors when in the presence of others. UMBC will provide two cloth face coverings for faculty and staff required to return to work on campus. Employees may also purchase or provide their own face coverings if they prefer. Face coverings are not required when alone in a closed room, such as a private office or lab. Self-purchased masks with slogans and/or symbols must be appropriate for a professional environment.
- All faculty and staff returning to work on campus must have in their possession and be able to use a face covering. Face covering means a covering that fully covers a person’s nose and mouth. Acceptable face coverings include disposable masks and reusable cloth coverings, including scarves and bandannas.
- Face coverings must be worn inside buildings while traveling from one location to another.
- If an employee has a private office, the face covering may be removed once inside the office.
- If employees share an office with other employees, employees may remove their face coverings only if the CDC’s physical distancing guidelines can be maintained.
- Face coverings must be worn when an employee leaves the workspace to travel to restrooms, other offices, or meetings.
- Face coverings must be in an employee’s possession outside and worn if walking, talking, or working within six feet of others.
- If employees are working (even outside) within six feet of others, a face covering must be worn.
Appropriate use of face masks or coverings is critical in minimizing risk to others near you. It’s possible that you could spread COVID-19 to others even if you do not feel sick. Face coverings are essential to use in conjunction with physical distancing and hand washing to protect yourself and others from getting the virus.
Other Personal Protective Equipment
Gloves – If gloves are necessary, a department must process a work order for the number of pairs required for the department employees working on campus who require gloves.
Sanitizer stations – UMBC is providing sanitizer stations in common areas. Additional sanitizers, requested specifically for departmental spaces, can be provided by Facilities Management though a work order. The cost of additional sanitizer stations will be charged to the department through the journal entry process. Alternately, a department may opt to directly purchase sanitizers.
Disinfectant Spray and Paper Towels – UMBC is providing disinfectant spray and paper towels for departments with employees returning to work on campus. These items can be secured through the work order process.
Additional Signage – Signage beyond the standard building signs must be requested by departments through the work order process. If approved, Facilities Management will provide the additional signage. A request for additional signage requires planning ahead.
Customer Shields or Plexiglas Dividers – Departments identifying a potential need for customer shields or Plexiglas dividers should make a request through the work order process. If approved based on an assessment of need, Facilities Management will provide the shields or dividers. A request for customer shields or Plexiglas dividers requires planning ahead. Other mitigation measures must be explored prior to utilizing customer shields.