Approve Process for Phase 2
August 3, 2020 – Spring 2021 Semester
- This process is for staff only.
- Approval to work on campus will follow the Return to On-Campus Work Approval Process.
- Identify the activity that is being proposed for on-campus work and documenting the justification for the activity.
- Complete the Risk Assessment Template.
- Notify employees that they are being considered for returning to on-campus work.
- Submit the Return to On-Campus Work Application to the appropriate vice president or dean. The approval/appeal process is outlined in detail in the linked document.
- If application is approved, supervisors/department heads will contact employees approved to return to campus.
- Complete required preparation for returning to campus.
- For staff that have been previously approved to work on campus but completed the Opt-Out form due to a break/leave/vacation, you and your supervisor should re-complete the Return to On-Campus Work Application. You do not need to re-submit the risk assessment and can indicate “on file” on the justification form. Researchers should apply through the RCA process detailed here.
Before You Apply
Throughout the multi-phased process, supervisors/department heads will have a pivotal role in identifying employees required to work on campus. In order to be prepared for employees returning to campus, supervisors/department heads are asked to complete the tasks on the Supervisor/Department Head Checklist.
Supervisors/department heads are encouraged to notify employees of a possible return to on-campus work at the time of application. It is important that supervisors/department heads offer opportunities for employees to have conversations around scheduling options as well as any concerns they may have about returning to campus.
Preparing to Return to Campus
In preparation for returning to work on campus, employees are expected to fully comply with the policies, protocols, and guidelines outlined here. Supervisors/department heads must confirm that employees have completed the requirements before they return to work on campus. Employees who do not comply with these guidelines will be subject to corrective action.
Before an approved employee returns to work on campus, they are required to:
- Complete a self-check.
- View the short video, “Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19) Awareness” (More information coming soon.)
- Take and pass the associated quiz.
- Review the Return to On-Campus Work for Employees checklist.
Supervisors/department heads should work with employees who do not have access to technology to identify the best way to complete these requirements.
Location and Scheduling
For Employees Approved to Return to Work on Campus: Supervisors should work with employees to design a schedule that promotes safety and minimizes potential virus transmission. It is expected that approved employees will work under more than one of the following scheduling options:
- Remote Work: Those who can work or teach remotely to fulfill some or all of their work responsibilities may continue to do so in order to reduce the number of individuals on campus and minimize spread of the virus.
- Alternating Days: In order to limit the number of individuals and interactions on campus, units should schedule partial in-person staffing on alternating days. Such schedules will help enable physical distancing, especially in areas with large common work spaces.
- Staggered Reporting/Departing: The beginning and end of the workday brings many people together at common entry/exit points of buildings. Staggering reporting and departure times will reduce traffic in common areas to help meet physical distancing requirements.