UMBC is committed to maintaining a safe and healthy workplace, including minimizing the transmission of viruses. The following information is intended to support faculty and staff in their work, teaching, and research.
FALL 2020 Update: Most employees will continue to work remotely this fall. UMBC is developing a careful, multi-phase Return to On-Campus Work Plan for departments that wish to explore returning to campus to provide core services.
Please see the Human Resources comprehensive FAQ for employees and supervisors for more detailed information and answers to any specific work-related questions during COVID-19.
Fear and anxiety around something like COVID-19 can be overwhelming and cause strong emotions. Here are a few resources and tips posted by UMBC Counseling that can help you and your family cope.
The University’s Employee Assistance Program has released a customized site with resources for UMBC faculty and /staff.
Campus Status: UMBC is open, with most students, faculty, and staff studying, teaching, and working remotely. Facilities remain closed. If you have an emergency, please call UMBC Police at (410) 455-5555. Maryland is currently under a Safer at Home Order. However, travel and other restrictions remain in Baltimore County and other areas.The latest campus updates are posted on the Retrievers Return Roadmap website. If you have questions or concerns, please email email@example.com.
COVID-19 Testing and Symptom Tracking
- Students and employees who are approved to be on campus this fall are receiving more information this week about testing and symptom tracking requirements directly via email.
- Beginning on Thursday, August 13, all students and employees approved to be on campus during the fall 2020 semester will be required to complete UMBC’s online symptom tracker every day, seven days a week.
- More information about testing and online daily symptom tracking requirements is available on the employee and student sections of the Retrievers Return website.
Student Services and Support
- Don’t miss the last week of the Online Leadership Challenge, with a final challenge on Thursday, August 13.
- A Summer Lunch and Learn: Radically Connected in Baltimore, will be held online Wednesday, August 12, noon to 1 p.m.
- Check out the latest Welcome Week events and save the dates.
- UMBC’s buildings are secured, with some employees and research teams on campus and taking appropriate health and safety precautions. Only employees with permission from their supervisor, approved researchers, and/or approved students should be on campus.
- Faculty Fall Office Access Requests: If you need to access the campus during the fall semester to prepare course materials for a class that you are teaching, or access to your office to teach online during the fall semester, please submit a Fall Office Access Request. If you need a teaching assistant to also have access to campus for instructional purposes, please include the TA’s information in your request. Please submit your request by August 13, 2020. Decisions will be rendered by August 18, 2020.
- If you have a one-time emergency need to visit campus and have gained appropriate approval(s), but do not have keys to gain access to the building/office that you need to visit, please call UMBC Police Deputy Chief Bruce Perry at (443) 677-2195 or Lieutenant Derrick Johns at (410) 207-0850.