To ensure a safe learning environment, UMBC has established a set of baseline requirements for all classroom activities in Fall 2021 and Spring 2022.
- All faculty, staff, and students should review and comply with UMBC’s safe on-campus behavior in all classrooms.
- The occupancy of all face-to-face classrooms has been set based on physical distancing requirements and will be posted on the classroom door. Courses will be assigned to rooms using these new occupancy limits.
- Face masks are required at all times by everyone in the classroom, including the instructor.
- Because of the face mask requirement, eating and drinking is prohibited. Students with medical needs should discuss options with their professors.
- Each room has adequate furniture to accommodate the posted max capacity and allow for proper separation. Some classrooms may have extra furniture. While furniture is not placed in a specific arrangement there is adequate space for students to distance themselves.
- Dispensers with disinfecting wipes or spray bottles with paper towels are in each classroom to allow students and faculty to clean their desk or space as they take their seat.
- Materials, equipment or resources that need to be shared between students in the classroom should be disinfected each time prior to being shared . Distribution and collection of paper exams is acceptable and should be done in a manner that does not require person to person contact.
- Classroom windows should not be opened as this has the potential to disrupt the operation of the building HVAC system.
- Faculty and students will be expected to comply with all testing and monitoring protocols in place during the semester.
- If a student or faculty member tests positive for COVID-19, or receives notification of an exposure, they should review UMBC’s COVID-19 Case Response process.
- Additional information for faculty is available here.
Departments and Faculty who request exceptions to these baseline requirements will complete a risk assessment application and review before being granted approval.