On-Campus Study Spaces
UMBC has designated several spaces for commuting students to use for online access of classes in between their in-person courses. Please make sure to bring earphones/headphones.
- Sondheim 2nd floor: rooms 203-209 (160 seats)
- Engineering: rooms 104-104a; 333, 336, first and second-floor atriums (150 seats)
- Monday through Friday: 8:00 AM to 12:00 AM
- Saturday: 10:00 AM to 6:00 PM
- Sunday: 12:00 PM to 12:00 AM
- The Retriever Learning Center – Open 24/7
- Floors 2-7 have available study spaces. – General Library Hours –
If you need assistance locating these rooms on campus, please see our Campus Maps. Since space is limited, we ask the residential students to complete courses in their rooms so that commuting students can use these spaces.
Virtual Study Spaces & Best Practices
In addition, check out these services we offer to help students create a better study environment at home:
- The Academic Success Center has created videos to help students study effectively (Study Environment is addressed at minute 3), to manage their study time, with a module with tips for how to set up a study environment.
- The Academic Success Center offers tutoring for many courses. A tutoring appointment may be helpful as a way to focus.
Furthermore, you might consider buying headphones with a microphone that will work with your computer to help reduce background noise.